Godrevy Lighthouse, St. Ives bay. Oil on canvas, 20 ins x 26ins. Signed. Presented in a fine decorative frame.
Clifford Hanney was born in Publow, Pensford, near Bristol in 1890 and, after studying at the Merchant Venturer’s School, the University there and art at West Marlands School of Art, Southampton and Bristol Municipal College of Art under R. E. J. Bush, taught art at various schools and colleges, becoming Principal of Crewe School of Art (1943 –50).
Elected an Associate of the Royal West of England Academy in 1923, he was one of the founders of the New Bristol Art Club in 1933 and was a President of both Oldham Society of Artists (1929) and the Bristol Savages (1963).
In 1974 he was awarded the Diploma Italiana Universita delle Arti.
Many of Hanney’s paintings were exhibited at the Royal Academy, Royal Institute of Oil painters, Royal Society of British Artists, Royal West of England Academy, Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool, Manchester City Art Gallery and Oldham Art Gallery and with many other galleries and with the travelling Exhibition of the Society of Marine Artists.
A painter of marine, landscape and figure subjects, Julius Ollson was a particular influence on the play of light on water exhibited in Clifford Hanney’s marine works.
Clifford married the artist, Eirene Hutton-Seed in 1931. They often went on ‘caravanning periods’ where they were away for three months at a time to Dorset, Cornwall and Devon and especially to Godrevy on St Ives Bay. There they got to know Arthur Hayward (who painted their portraits), Herbert Truman and met Stanhope Forbes.
Oil on canvas -
20 ins x 26ins -