Summer Time, St Ives Bay.
St Ives Bay from Carbis Bay, circa 1890. Watercolour, 18ins x 12ins. Presented in a superb period frame.
Carbis means "cart bridge" and there was a stone bridge over the stream at Carbis Bay in olden days. Legend has it that when plague was raging in St. Ives in 1640 the country folk brought food for St. Ives, leaving it on or under the bridge, and the money to pay was left in the water - to be purified. The beach was called Barripper or Porthrepta, or Carrack Gladden Cove and was only used by fishermen. Carbis river splashed out of the valley and wound its way across the sand to the sea, dividing the beach.
18ins x 12ins -